Sunday 21 September 2008

Mobile phone sale

Several days ago, I lost my mobile phone. So my host mother said she can give me an old phone, all I need to do is buy a new SIM card. Next day I went to a shop which called 4U to buy SIM card. The card is very cheap to call aboard. I just said I need a SIM card to salesman. Then he gave me two SIM cards and said 20 pounds. They didn’t ask anything even what kind of card I need where I need to call. I don’t know what’s going on at that moment. So after that I checked the card they gave me was the thing I wanted. I also can’t understand why they gave me two SIM cards, but I only need one. And they gave me 20 pounds for top-up (10 pounds each).
But unfortunately, I can’t use that card in that phone which my host mother gave me. So I have to buy another one.
I went to some mobile phone shop such as O2, Orange and so on, but most of phones are locked. That means phones which are in Orange only can use the SIM card in Orange. Finally I bought a phone in 4U. Again, they gave me a SIM card and I have to pay 10 pounds for top-up (this card is for making phone calls in the UK). Why it’s so hard to buy a phone? All I need is a phone.
So in the end I got 3 SIM cards
Selling is very important in business, businessmen use different ways to try to sell more products. But I don’t think sell phone like this is a good idea.

● They use B.O.G.O.F. to sell SIM card, but this product is not like the food, or other products, the more the better. One SIM card one number is enough. How can your friends find you if you have many phone numbers. Also nowadays SIM cards are completely free, just top-up first, so use B.O.G.O.F. to sell SIM card is meaningless.
● All the phones in Orange are locked, so if customers buy phones from Orange have to use Orange SIM card and network. Maybe it can make more profit, but at the same time they lose some customers. If someone has SIM card and want to buy a phone, he can’t buy a phone in Orange. So I think Orange should have some mobile phone not be locked.

So I think the way they sell phones is not a good idea, at least some customers are not happy with that. Maybe in a short time they can use this way to make more profit. But I don’t think the business which only think about to get more profit and never think about customers will be a long term. In other wards, in the long term think about customers first, then you can make more money.

3 comments:

chris sivewright said...

Here is what I suggest:

1. email customer services for these companies and see what they say (if anything)

2.Check your spelling before you post blogs!

By emailing you will gain real business experience!

chris sivewright said...

Please put links to everyone else's blogs on your blog - form a network. This is all about discussion and commenting on people's blogs - it all improves a) knowledge and b) English!

yan said...

WELL DONE.BABY
COME ON,YOU ARE THE BEST
TO ME